The newly restructured Master of Science in Economics program with a concentration in Financial Econometrics and Financial Economics in the Department of Economics at Texas A&M University aims to provide rigorous training in economics, econometrics, analytical and quantitative skills for students in order to prepare them for immediate careers in business or government, or further study in top economics and finance Ph.D. program. This terminal, professional Master’s degree program was rebuilt in 2011 after a two-years extensive design and review process, created in response to the increasingly high demand from students seeking a professional master’s degree in economics and employers looking for candidates with advanced training. The Economics Department had previously operated a terminal Master’s degree program since 1931.
- #9 U.S. public (#14 overall), The Financial Engineering , 2015
- World-class and highly ranked econometrics and applied microeconomics faculty
- STEM discipline (Econometrics and Quantitative Economics with Code 45.0603)
- 2 concentrations: Financial Econometrics and Financial Economics
- 2 options: Non-thesis and thesis
- 36 credit hours for non-thesis option; 32 credit hours, a thesis and an oral exam for thesis option
- 18 months or 24 months length
- Rigorous economics, econometrics, quantitative skills, and SAS training
- Career support from the Department, the College, and the University
- The world’s most powerful alumni network
- Affordable education with the highest return on investment (ROI)
- Successful placement on both industry side and academic side
- Merit-based scholarships available for both 1st and 2nd year M.S. students with outstanding academic records
The Economics Department
Texas A&M’s Department of Economics enjoys a national and international reputation for the quality of its academic programs and faculty. Our young and active faculty are major players in the national and international research communities in the economics profession. The Department of Economics at Texas A&M University is home to around 750 undergraduates, 160 master students, and 75 doctoral students.
Texas A&M University
Opened in 1876 as Texas’ first public institution of higher learning, Texas A&M University is a research-intensive flagship university with more than 50,000 students-including 10,000 graduate students- studying in more than 120 undergraduate and 240 graduate degree programs in 16 colleges and schools. As one of the world’s leading research institutions, Texas A&M University has earned a reputation as a world-class leader in research, teaching, and public engagement, consistently ranking among the world’s top universities.
Fall 2015 Rankings of the Top Economics Graduate Programs
|1.||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|3.||Penn State University|
|5.||University of Minnesota Twin Cities|
|6.||Texas A&M University|
|7.||New York University|
|8.||University of Maryland|
|10.||Southern Methodist University|
|12.||University of San Francisco|
|15.||The University of Texas at Austin|
|16.||University of Wisconsin-Madison|
|17.||University of California-Los Angeles|
|18.||The New School|
|19.||University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|21.||University of Pittsburgh|
|23.||The George Washington University|
|24.||University of Virginia|
|25.||University of Arizona|
Graduateprograms.com reaches current and recent graduate students through scholarship entries as well as social media platforms.
Graduateprograms.com assigns 15 ranking categories to each graduate program at each graduate school. Rankings cover a variety of student topics such as academic competitiveness, career support, financial aid and quality of network.
For a given graduate program, rankings are determined by calculating the average score for each program based on the 15 ranking categories. These scores are then compared across all ranked schools for that program and are translated into a final ranking for that graduate program, i.e., “business and management”. A given graduate program is not ranked until a minimum threshold of graduate student surveys is completed for that program