Why Study Abroad?
Studying abroad enhances your university experience and facilitates global connections. While abroad, you can apply what you learn in the classroom to real world situations and expand your view of the world.
- Language aquisition or improvement
- Understanding of your personal heritage
- Understanding of your own culture and values
- Increased independence and self reliance
- Increase self confidence
- Enhanced academic interest
- Develop leadership skills
- Advance your career
- Stand out amongst other graduates with skills that can only be gained through international experience
Where to Study Abroad?
Texas A&M University provides many study abroad programs for all of their students, but the Department of Economics provides for specific trips that are specifically catered to Economics majors, or rather anyone interested in Economics.
The two locations we have a relationship with are as follows:
- Erasmus University (Rotterdam, The Netherlands)
- Southwestern University of Finance and Economics (Chengdu, China)
All of these programs are quite affordable, with prices more or less equivalent to spending a semester at College Station. On any of our trips, courses will be taught in English. If you are interested, feel free to look through our pages about why visiting any of these places is so beneficial.
If you would like to look at the other programs provided by the Texas A&M Study Abroad Programs Office, please click here.
Reciprocal Educational Exchange Program (REEP)
A reciprocal educational exchange program (REEP) is a Texas A&M University sponsored program that gives students the opportunity to take courses directly at a foreign partner institution. The REEP model is one of the most independent and immersive ways to study abroad, giving students the opportunity to live and learn with students from the host country, as well as with other international exchange students from across the globe. REEPs are ideal for independent and proactive students who will have the flexibility to adjust to different styles of teaching/learning and course expectations. REEPs are available for semester and/or academic year study, with limited programs during the summer term.
Benefits of participating in a REEP program
- Students pay regular TAMU tuition and fees as if they were studying on campus, making REEPs one of the most cost-effective ways to study abroad. Living expenses are typically paid on-site to the host university.
- Students have access to the host university’s course offerings (some restrictions may apply) and take courses alongside host country nationals.
- Courses taken on REEPs will appear on students’ TAMU transcripts as TAMU course equivalents, counting towards residency hours and cumulative TAMU GPA.
- REEPs provide a truly immersive experience, allowing students to get involved in the local university community through clubs, sports, and other student activities.