EUROP: Economics Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program
The Economics Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (EUROP) is looking for talented undergraduates with an interest in independent research.
- A flexible, part-time program with a Department of Economics faculty member assisting student-led research. Scholars who successfully complete the program are eligible for awards of $1,000;
- Participation in ECON 491 courses in Fall and Spring semesters (6 hours total of upper-level ECON elective credit—counts toward residency);
- Culminates in a paper suitable for submission to an undergraduate research conference or a peer-reviewed economics journal.
- Minimum GPR of 3.1
- Completed ECMT 461, recommended course: ECMT 463
- Excellent potential to do independent research
- Application to the Undergraduate Research Scholars program and fulfilling the requirements of that program listed here.
- Submission of completed work to conferences and publications such as Student Research Week, Explorations: The Journal of Undergraduate Research, the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas Economics Scholars Program for Undergraduate Research, the Carroll Round, the Developing Economist or peer-reviewed economics journals.
- An up-to-date resume
- An unofficial transcript
- A one to two page letter of interest that
- Outlines why you want to undertake independent research;
- Discusses the qualities you believe would make you an excellent candidate for this program;
- Includes the names of three faculty members with whom you are interested in working. You should make an attempt to discuss your research ideas with faculty beforehand. In addition to listing the names of the faculty members with whom you are interested in working, please also include the names of the faculty members you have communicated with about potential research opportunities.
Applications should be emailed to Mary Owens (email@example.com) by Friday March 8th, 2019. Files should be in PDF or Word format and given file names of the form LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_RESUME, LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_TRANSCRIPT, etc.
Applications will be reviewed by the Undergraduate Research Committee: Dr. Dennis Jansen, Dr. Jonathan Meer and Dr. Tatevik Sekhposyan. At least one and as many as six exemplary candidates will be chosen as Economics Undergraduate Research Scholars. The exact number will depend on the match between faculty and student research interests. Applicants will be informed of the status of their applications in late March.